Saturday, November 16, 2013

Chilaquiles - Breakfast of Champions


From last night's leftovers springs a spectacular weekend brunch. One of my favorite dishes...Chilaquiles.

Last night Debbie and I split an order of James Special (Chile verde over rice) From Sal's. We ate almost all of it.

What I had left over:

About 2 or 3 ounces of James Special
3 fresh corn tortillas
some tortilla chips

Late this morning I chopped up the tortillas and tossed them in a skillet with about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.

I fried the tortillas until slightly brown, then added a handfull of the leftover chips.

I then added about a half cup of Trader Joe's Enchilada Sauce ( Handy because it comes in a glass bottle, so you can use a little and keep the rest in the fridge for later). 

While the tortilla mixture simmered and thickened, I scrambled a few eggs. (A fried egg is the preferred topping but in a marriage, you have to compromise) 

I topped the chilaquiles and eggs with the leftover chile verde and rice, JalapeƱos and salsa.

I think of this meal as a reward for restraining myself at last night's dinner.




No comments:

Post a Comment